Red Bull King of the Air Standby Warning

Red Bull King of the Air 48 hour warning

Contest director Sergio Cantagalli aiming to get the contest underway on Wednesday and Thursday this week…

We have just been given the warning that Wednesday looks like it will be the day to start the contest. The plan is to make a start of Wednesday 11th and there are good chances that the event will continue into Thursday 12th which looks like the more reliable day.

Updates here at kiteworldmag.com as well as via our Facebook and Twitter feeds. Kiteworld editor Jim will be hosting the livestream and as an official media partner for the event, we will be streaming the Red Bull King of the Air LIVE over at our sister site: www.thekiteshow.tv 

The Red Bull King of the Air livestream on The Kite Show

Watch the livestream and all our build-up / background content at www.thekiteshow.tv (where you’ll also get a free digital edition of Kiteworld!)

Head over to www.thekiteshow.tv to find lots of related bonus content, including interviews with the riders, and where we are giving away a free current digital edition of Kiteworld on our fantastic new platform from Zinio this week!

The latest reports predict moderate to fresh, variable northerly to westerly winds until Wednesday with the low to the south west. On Wednesday the South Atlantic high moves in causing a strong pressure gradient in the afternoon. The increasing pressure gradient in the afternoon will mean that very probably the afternoon will see SE winds in the Blouberg area that will be stronger than the models suggest on both Wednesday afternoon and Thursday afternoon. 

We are expecting winds to reach 30 knots, gusting up to 35+ knots. These are currently the only two days that meet the prepared criteria for conditions for the event.  

The tide is also on our side (with low tide at 15:02 on Wednesday and 16:42 on Thursday) with an expected 2 – 3.5m swell and clear skies. 

Organisers must also consider that we are slowly getting towards the end of the south-easter wind season, and the guarantee of solid wind all day is reducing all the time. 

Lately the winds have only been getting stronger in mid-afternoon, so the chances of being able to hold the event in one day are now low. 
Red Bull would like to give all riders the chance to perform with proper winds, so they have confirmed that they are looking to split the event in two days (if not more), and according to conditions, will start on Wednesday 11th whenever the wind becomes ‘suitable’ in the competition area.

Red Bull King of the Air 48 hour warning

Sergio says, “If we like it = we do it! If we don’t like it = we don’t do it!”

Let’s hope we at least get chance to complete the first round and gain precious wind/time for the next day, Thursday 12th.

FORECAST:
WED 11 FEB 2015: 
Wind Speed: 19 – 26 kts increasing
Wind Direction: SSE
Sig Wave Height:    2.1 – 2.6 m increasing
Mean Wave Period:   9  seconds
Primary Wave Dir:   SW
Pressure:   1019 hPa
Temperature:    20 – 21 Celsius
Rain Fall:  0 mm
Cloud Coverage: 0  %

THU 12 FEB 2015
Wind Speed: 22 – 27 kts 
Wind Direction: SSE
Sig Wave Height:    2.8 – 3.3 m increasing
Mean Wave Period:   10 seconds
Primary Wave Dir:   S
Pressure:   1015 hPa
Temperature:    20 – 23 Celsius
Rain Fall:  0 mm
Cloud Coverage: 0 %

There is more potential to start earlier on Thursday according to the forecast and make it all the way to finals. 
Worst scenario: the following days are still an option!

Rider’s meeting planned for noon on Wednesday 11th at Big Bay LifeSaving Club.

RUBEN’S UP FOR IT! 

Find all our other videos at: www.thekiteshow.tv 

Red Bull King of the Air opening night, heat draws and videos

Click here to see the heat draws, video reaction and heat draws from the opening night / PHOTOS – Ydwer van der Heide

Back to News

Related Articles